Life Writing and Schizophrenia: Encounters at the Edge of Meaning (Secondary Source for Challenger Deep)

I struggled with figuring out exactly where I wanted to take this discussion. Challenger Deep is such a rich text ripe for all different kinds of analysis. Did I want to discuss social constructionsim and medicalization? Did I want to think about disability models? Did I want to talk about mothering (and/or parenting) and disability?

I landed on thinking about the act of writing mental illness, specifically schizophrenia, since its the disorder dealt with in Challenger Deep. I’ve attached the introduction to Mary Elene Wood’s book Life Writing and Schizophrenia: Encounters at the Edge of Meaning, as well as two book reviews I felt elucidated the main ideas of the text.

Life_Writing_and_Schizophrenia_Encounters_at_the_E…_—-_(Introduction_)

Schneider_BookReview

Hornstein_BookReview

If you’re interested, the other things I was thinking about bringing in:

Disability, impairment or illness? The relevance of the social model of disability to the study of mental disorder by Julia Mulvany: Mulvany_DisabilityImpairtmentorIllness

Social Model of Disability by Tom Shakespeare: SocialModelofDisability_Shakespeare

On Mothering, Models, and Disability Rights by Gail Landsman: OnMotheringModelsandDisabilityRights_Landsman

PS. Here’s the link to the entire Wood book: https://ebookcentral.proquest.com/lib/cunymain/reader.action?ppg=1&docID=1581533&tm=1506308464928